Pitch

This is the blog of The Learning Bean

24 July 2010

Technology and me

It's not my intention to blog every single day, but yesterday I think I made a discovery... I learned something new AGAIN!
See I've recently changed internet service providers, I've replaced my old modem and Apple Airport Express with a flashy BoB setup. My hope is that I will then change my phone to VOIP and save a bit of money on my phonecalls. I hope that my optimism here shows that, although I am far from being a "geek", I certainly am not a techno-phobe. I embraced my iPhone, my iMac is great, I plugged my own set-top box into my big screen plasma TV. I have Twitter, Facebook, Skype and now a Blog. I like technology.
Yet for some reason BoB is on the blink. When I first set him up two of the lights on the front stayed red, and red is rarely a good sign. I put that down to my failure to read the instructions and disconnected everything to start again, and it worked!
So now it is failing spontaneously for no good reason. I want to say that I'm "technologically challenged" but the fact is that I'm not! Even if something I have done has resulted in the failure, technology is designed, developed and sold with the user in mind... isn't it? So even if I did install BoB with the wrong sequence of events, out there somewhere is a developer who should have known that this would happen, and should have planned for it.
For the record, I don't think I have done anything wrong. Maybe it's the wiring, maybe it's the BoB... But one thing I know for sure, it's not me!
I'm not technologically challenged... but technology MAY be a little "me-challenged".

1 comment:

  1. Forgot to mention - I'm now off to try and find the driver for my scanner/printer which has disappeared after 3 years of faultless use... Where has it gone? Why did it decide to leave? Maybe I'll learn the answers to these questions today!

    ReplyDelete